A native of Savannah, Dr. Murphy is a summa cum laude graduate of the University of Georgia in Athens, where he earned a bachelor’s degree in zoology. While there, he was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa, received the Jasper Dorsey Award as Outstanding Junior and was named the Dean William Tate Scholar as Outstanding Senior. Dr. Murphy received his medical degree with honors from the Medical College of Georgia in Augusta, where he was the recipient of a national Phi Kappa Phi Graduate Fellowship, the Alumni Scholarship and the Merck Manual Award, and was elected to membership in Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) medical honorary society.
Dr. Murphy completed his internal medicine residency at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he was chosen for the Lee Fordham Award as the Outstanding Teaching Resident. He also completed his fellowship in digestive diseases and nutrition there before returning to Savannah to practice medicine, following in the footsteps of his father, longtime Savannah surgeon H.J. “Jack” Murphy, M.D.Read More
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, N.C.
Fellowship, Digestive Diseases and Nutrition, 1994
Residency, Internal Medicine, 1991
Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Ga.
Doctor of Medicine, 1988
University of Georgia, Athens, Ga.
Bachelor of Science, Zoology, 1984
- Castle Connolly Top Doctor – Since 2013
- Best Gastroenterologist in Savannah, multiple years (most recently 2023)
- United Digestive Clinical Leadership Award, 2022
- Georgia Crohn’s and Colitis Premier Physician award, 2021
- CCFA Clinical Preceptorship, 2010
- Attending Physician of the Year, Memorial Health, 1998
- Henry Fordham Award, outstanding teaching resident, UNC-Chapel Hill, 1990
- Merck Manual Award, Medical College of Georgia, 1988
- Phi Kappa Phi National Graduate Fellowship, 1984
- Dean William Tate Phi Beta Kappa Scholar, University of Georgia, 1983
Savannah Book Festival
United Way of Savannah
I have written and published two novels, over 400 op ed columns and numerous book chapters, and I am an award-winning columnist. I'm also a big Georgia football fan (Go Dawgs!).
American College of Gastroenterology
American Gastroenterological Association
American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
I simply enjoyed it.